Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Best Run Ever!

I ran my very first Half Marathon December 18th, 2010. I did not have the time I needed to be trained for this race at all. I had run my first 10K just five weeks prior to the HM and really needed more preparation, but I had already signed up. There was no way I was going to back out. I prepared the best I could in the given time, running regular speed, tempo and long run workouts as well as cross training on my rest days. I ran my longest run two weeks before race day, a 12 mile out-and-back that left me with a brand new injury - iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS). Still, that run gave me confidence that I could make it through a half marathon (13.1 miles), even if I had to slog it the whole way.

My best friend and I left Lubbock for the race, which was to be held in Las Cruces, New Mexico, with plenty of time to make the six hour drive and get to the race packet pick-up before it ended, or so I thought. However, a missed turn in Lovington, NM took us out of our way by almost an hour. We arrived at packet pick-up with just 15 minutes to spare! I relaxed that evening, but still got very little sleep.

The next morning was a chilly 42 degrees, but I think that works out to be nice race weather. I knew I would not get so warm that I would have to remove layers of clothing. It was so exciting to be warming up next to all of the other half marathoners. I actually felt like an athlete standing there at the starting line waiting to get on the road. I have begun to find it easy to say I am a runner, but I do not feel like an athlete most of the time. The word athlete brings to mind professionals, and I am far from that! That morning, though, the brisk air felt electric with the energy of so many bodies all poised to meet their personal records. I could not help but feel like an athlete.

Then we were off. There was no gun to start the throng of runners, just a loud "Go" from the race director. Many of the runners did not even realize the race had started. I decided to set an ambitious 9:50 pace at the start knowing I would not be able to maintain it over 13.1 miles, but I was not concerned. I had decided to simply have fun running and not worry when I slowed down. I knew I was undertrained. This race wasn't about beating someone else's time. My first HM was about proving two things to myself: I was capable of running 13.1 miles without having to walk and I could come in under 2:19:00. I really believed I could do both.

I intentionally planned my fun during this race. The scenery was at it's best through the first half, so I made sure to look around me. We don't have many trees in West Texas and certainly no mountains where I live, so I really soaked in every detail. Before heading to the race, I set up a half marathon play list. I set up the best, up-tempo tunes for after the half way point in the run to give me inspiration to keep my feet moving at a good pace. Once I passed the water station marking halfway and the tunes kicked in, I really started having fun. I am sure there were other runners who thought I was crazy, but I could not keep from jamming out. I didn't do anything super cheesy like singing out loud, but I did let myself dance a bit (upper body). I was truly having the time of my life out there. I am not going to lie, though. Mile 12 was tough. I started to have a bad cramp in the achilles tendon of my right leg and thought it was going to completely seize up on me. I focused all of my energy on working through the pain and adjusting my stride to alleviate as much of the cramping as possible. To my surprise, it worked. By the last 600 meters I was able to open it up and pick up speed to sprint to the finish.

I ended the race elated that I had actually managed to run the entire race. No walking for this woman! I ran an average 10:26 per mile pace and finished in 2 hours, 16 minutes and 4o seconds. I placed 8th in my age division and 71st out of 143 female runners. I made it into the top half of the women! None of the times or places mattered at the finish for me, though. Running was what mattered. Running the entire race completely changed the way I see myself. There is so much power in knowing I can run 13 miles. I accomplished an amazing feat in less than six months. Before June 25, I could not even run a half mile. Now I am a runner training for my next half marathon in Dallas with plans to run my first marathon this fall. That day at the finish line, I felt like a conquering heroine! Beware, though. If you decide to try this for yourself, you might just become addicted. I know I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment